The vast array of social media options present a challenge: it’s tough to keep current, let alone formulate a plan for using these tools effectively. Solomon, a librarian with extensive experience in web development, design, and technology, cuts to the chase with this invaluable guide to using social media in any kind of library. With a straightforward and pragmatic approach, she broadens her best-selling ALA Editions Special Report on the topic and
- Presents an overview of the social media world, providing context for services like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and analyzes how adults’ and teens’ use of social media impacts the library
- Offers advice on easy ways to use these tools on a daily basis, with planning strategies for posting and scheduling
- Addresses the fine points of Facebook, comparing the various types of profiles and accounts
- Guides readers in the basics of crafting eye-catching status updates, and other social media best practices
- Shows how to manage and monitor accounts, including pointers on dealing with negative feedback
Including a bibliography of additional resources, Solomon’s guide will empower libraries to use social media as a powerful tool for marketing, outreach, and advocacy.